Last week former President George W. Bush told the Chicago Tribune that his greatest failure during his eight years in office was not privatizing Social Security. Put aside for a moment that that doesn’t count as a failure. I can think of some bona fide Bush Administration failures. More than a few, actually. Here’s a dozen from the very long list I compiled while Bush was in office.
1. Misled the country into a pre-emptive war of choice with Iraq, then provided shifting justifications for the invasion/occupation—weapons of mass destruction (no), link to Al Qaeda (no), democracy for Iraq (good luck with that).
2. Spent $7.4 million per HOUR on the Iraq invasion and occupation. (Think: skyrocketing national debt, shameless war profiteering, and how much health care $7.4 million per hour buys.)
3. Mission Accomplished! (And don’t forget Plan for Victory.)
4. Failed to respond to the Hurricane Katrina crisis; played golf and gave fundraising speeches in Arizona as Americans suffered and died on the Gulf Coast. “Many of the people … were underprivileged, anyway,” quipped Mrs. compassionate conservative Barbara Bush.
5. Publicly sanctioned the use of torture, which led to Abu Ghraib (and the Abu Ghraib photos).
6. Ignored the August 6, 2001 memo advising “bin Laden determined to strike in U.S.” Later: “I don’t know where he [Osama bin Laden] is. I just don’t spend that much time on him.” Also, disbanded the CIA’s bin Laden task force.
7. Turned a sympathetic world against the United States in the wake of 9/11.
8. Fought tooth-and-nail to prevent the establishment of the 9/11 Commission.
9. Wiretapped Americans without warrants.
10. Signed more than 750 “signing statements,” and asserted he could ignore part or all of any law being passed.
11. Refused to even contemplate any kind of energy policy that might lower gas prices and reduce America’s dependency on foreign oil. (And remember how high gas prices were during Bush’s second term?)
12. Sold himself as a “uniter,” turned out to be the ultimate divider.
Be Grateful for President Obama
Obamasfailures.com is a miserable failure; it called on states to succeed